Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Pizza- Caramelized Onions and Gorgonzola, Burrata and Proscuitto

I went to a Wegman's supermarket for the first time on Sunday. People have been telling me how great they are and I always ask them "So is it like Whole Foods?" I guess that's my yard stick for measuring supermarkets. I'd describe it more like the Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop of supermarkets. The place was enormous. The olive bar must have been 20' long. They even had a refrigerated case with just whole ducks. I made my way to la fromagerie and the cheese girl helped me pick out a gorgonzola dolce and pointed me to the burrata.

I've wanted to try burrata for some time, but due it's short shelf life most stores don't keep it in stock. (point wegman's) Burrata (which means buttered in Italian) is basically a ball of fresh mozzarella filled with mozzarella and cream. The inside has the consistency of a liquidy cottage cheese and it's delicious with a little olive drizzled on top and fresh pepper.

Anyway, I made some pizzas. I got the idea for the caramelized onion and gorgonzola from a recipe in a summer issue of Gourmet magazine. The recipe called for fresh parsley and walnuts? neither of which I had. no big loss.

The recipe was also a lesson on how to make pizza on a grill, but I just made it in the oven on a pizza stone. You can search previous posts for general pizza making posts. The only thing of note is that I brush the dough with olive oil and pre-bake the naked dough before topping it. That way the dough cooks through without burning the toppings.

So cook some onions over medium heat with a little oil in a covered pan for 15-20 minutes until sweet and golden. Spread some crumbled gorgonzola and the cooked onions over the half-baked pizza and finish it off back in the oven.

I improvised on the second pizza. I had no normal mozzarella so I used some of the burrata (which is probably some kind of sacrelige for all I know) and topped with a few slices of proscuitto (after baking).







Posted by Picasa

No comments: