Thursday, December 25, 2008

Prosciutto egg baskets

I don't remember what site I got this idea from but it came up in conversation as a brunch idea so I wanted to make a test run.

I don't have muffin tins so I just made some cups out of tin foil. I layered two slices of prosciutto in the tins, cracked an egg in, seasoned with pepper and parsley, added a slice of provolone, folded the ends of the prosciutto over, and baked in the toaster oven on 350 for about 18 minutes. If you like your eggs a little runny reduce the cooking time.

The thing about prosciutto is that it's already dried/cured and the flavor is highly concentrated. When you cook it it becomes even more concentrated and salty. Although tempting to season the eggs with salt, don't.

In doing some research I found variations that called for a piece of bread under the egg as well as a version that added spinach and cheddar cheese. The prosciutto was pretty overpowering after cooking and both of these variations might help to balance the dish out.




coffee: because there's no reason to be miserable every day until you die.

No comments: